Golden Age of Light Music: Song of the West
This despatch estimate is based on information from both our own stock and the UK supplier's stock.
If ordering multiple items, we will aim to send everything together so the longest despatch estimate will apply to the complete order.
If you would rather receive certain items more quickly, please place them on a separate order.
If any unexpected delays occur, we will keep you informed of progress via email and not allow other items on the order to be held up.
If you would prefer to receive everything together regardless of any delay, please let us know via email.
Pre-orders will be despatched as close as possible to the release date.
Label: Guild - Light Music
Cat No: GLCD5215
Number of Discs: 1
Release Date: 16th June 2014
The American West (often referred to as the ‘Wild West’) has been a fertile source of inspiration for authors and composers, often painting a rosy glow that was far removed from reality.
The original settlers must have been a hardy bunch, given the unknown challenges they faced, especially the rugged territory and the fact that there were already people living there who understandably disliked being removed from their traditional lands.
A vast body of music has emerged, sometimes based on traditional airs of those involved, but also the imagination of the tunesmiths in Tin Pan Alley. This collection draws on both sources, and it also features some of the tone poems created by orchestral writers who developed a love for ‘the great outdoors’.
The title of the collection comes from a major work by Billy Vaughn which captures the feelings possessed by many. Other notable composers include Robert Farnon, Richard Rodgers, Trevor Duncan, Dimitri Tiomkin and Victor Young – the latter two illustrating the love affair that movies have always had with the Wild West.
1. Gateway To The West - Robert Farnon: Robert Farnon and his Orchestra
2. 'Bonanza' - Theme from the TV series - David Rose: Nelson Riddle and his Orchestra
3. El Rancho Grande (My Ranch) - Silvano R Ramos, arr. Percy Faith: Percy Faith and his Orchestra
4. Oklahoma! - Richard Rodgers: The Melachrino Orchestra conducted by George Melachrino
5. Prairie Sail Car (from 'Around The World In Eighty Days') - Victor Young: The Cinema Sound Stage Orchestra
6. Ranch House Party (from 'Portrait Of A Frontier Town') - Don Gillis: New Concert Orchestra conducted by Stanford Robinson
7. Prairie Sunset - Ernest Tomlinson: Bosworth Orchestra
8. Sioux War Dance - Ray Martin: Ray Martin and his Concert Orchestra
9. Colorado Trail - Traditional, arr. Robert Farnon: Robert Farnon and his Orchestra
10. Overland To Oregon - Suite - Trevor Duncan, real name Leonard Charles Trebilco: Unidentified Orchestra
11. Stampede - Herbert Leonard Stevens: New Century Orchestra conducted by Sidney Torch
12. Frontier Marshall - Jack Beaver: Danish State Radio Orchestra conducted by Robert Farnon ('The Melodi Light Orchestra conducted by Ole Jensen’ On Record Label)
13. Pow Wow - Robert Farnon: Robert Farnon and his Orchestra
14. Tall In The Saddle - John Cacavas: Telecast Orchestra conducted by Robert Farnon
15. Home On The Range - Traditional: Mantovani and his Orchestra
16. Rocky Trail To A Peaceful Valley - Waters, Hall: Leroy Holmes and his Orchestra
17. Prairie Rider - Charles Williams, arr. Cecil Milner: New Concert Orchestra conducted by Jack Leon
18. Colorado Sunset - Jack Brown: New Century Orchestra conducted by Sidney Torch
19. American Panorama - Wilfred Burns: The Symphonia Orchestra conducted by Curt Andersen
20. California Here I Come - Buddy De Sylva, Joseph Meyer, Al Jolson: Hal Mooney and his Orchestra
21. 'High Noon' - Theme from the film - Dimitri Tiomkin: David Carroll and his Orchestra
22. Lazy Cowboy - Ruth Guthrie: Ray Martin and his Concert Orchestra
23. Song Of The West - Billy Vaughn, arr. George Greeley: Billy Vaughn and his Orchestra
Error on this page? Let us know here
Need more information on this product? Click here