Golden Age of Light Music: Table for Two
This despatch estimate is based on information from both our own stock and the UK supplier's stock.
If ordering multiple items, we will aim to send everything together so the longest despatch estimate will apply to the complete order.
If you would rather receive certain items more quickly, please place them on a separate order.
If any unexpected delays occur, we will keep you informed of progress via email and not allow other items on the order to be held up.
If you would prefer to receive everything together regardless of any delay, please let us know via email.
Pre-orders will be despatched as close as possible to the release date.
Label: Guild - Light Music
Cat No: GLCD5227
Number of Discs: 1
Release Date: 11th May 2015
Music for a romantic evening is the theme of this collection which contains a mix of recordings by famous conductors, such as Robert Farnon, George Melachrino, Charles Williams and Cyril Stapleton, interspersed with recordings from the background music libraries that provided so much music for films, radio and television.
Well known composers such as Peter Dennis, Cyril Watters, Wally Stott and Bruce Campbell (responsible for the title track) wrote hundreds of pieces, sometimes for more than one library, always hoping that one of their compositions would be chosen as the signature tune of a radio or television programme, thus ensuring a regular income in the shape of royalties.
'Table for Two' was the last CD in the series to be compiled and annotated by David Ades before his death in February 2015. It, and the previous 126 collections, form a fitting memorial to his programming skills, his encyclopaedic knowledge of light music and the exhaustive research he carried out to ensure the accuracy of his definitive booklet notes. Alan Bunting and Guild have decided that the series continues in a similar fashion.
1. Table For Two - Bruce Campbell: Group-Forty Orchestra conducted by Laurie Johnson
2. The Night Was Made For Love - Jerome Kern: Melachrino Orchestra conducted by George Melachrino
3. Pearls On Velvet - Walter Stott: Telecast Orchestra conducted by Walter Stott
4. Can't Help Lovin' Dat Man (from 'Porgy And Bess') - George Gershwin: David Rose and his Orchestra
5. Rainbow Room - Mel Young: Mel Young and his Orchestra
6. Serenatella - Dennis Stoll: Queen’s Hall Light Orchestra conducted by Robert Farnon
7. I Never Knew - Ted Fiorito, Gus Kahn: Dolf Van Der Linden and his Orchestra (As ‘Daniel De Carlo’ on LP)
8. Southern Twilight - Cyril Watters: Queen’S Hall Light Orchestra conducted by Charles Williams
9. Honeymoon For Strings - Guenther Sonneborn: Bosworth Orchestra
10. Grass Widow's Lament - Peter de Rose, arr. Laurie Johnson: Ambrose Orchestra conducted by Laurie Johnson
11. Valse Magique - Oscar Denayer, Louis Logist: The Brussels New Concert Orchestra
12. Daydreams - Leslie Coward: Queen’s Hall Light Orchestra conducted by Charles Williams
13. I Love You So Much - Bert Kalmar, Harry Ruby: John Clegg and his Orchestra
14. Fashion Line - Anthony Spurgin: The Connaught Light Orchestra
15. The Nearness Of You - Hoagy Carmichael, Ned Washington, arr. Robert Farnon: Robert Farnon and his Orchestra
16. Supper With Stephie - Trevor Duncan, real name Leonard Charles Trebilco: Lansdowne Light Orchestra
17. When The Music Is Playing - Werner Richard Heymann: Cyril Stapleton and his Orchestra
18. Easy Talk - Raymond Jones: The Westway Studio Orchestra
19. Debutante - George English: The Sydney Light Concert Orchestra conducted by Hal Evans
20. Look At Me - Eddy Wall: The Westway Studio Orchestra
21. Love In The Clouds - Cy Crawford: Symphonia Orchestra conducted by Curt Andersen
22. Fashion House - Peter Dennis, real name Dennis Alfred Berry: Symphonia Orchestra conducted by Curt Andersen
23. Dreamtime - Keith Papworth: London Studio Orchestra conducted by Hugo De Groot (‘Hugh Granville’ On Disc Label)
24. Gorgeous Girl - Kurt Schick: Symphonia Orchestra conducted by Curt Andersen
25. Nevertheless (I'm In Love With You) - Bert Kalmar, Harry Ruby, arr. William Hill-Bowen: The Living Strings conducted by William Hill-Bowen
Error on this page? Let us know here
Need more information on this product? Click here