Melos Ensemble: Music among Friends (Complete EMI Recordings)
save £2.33 (10%)
special offer ending 09/01/2020
Currently out of stock at the UK suppliers. Available to order, but is likely to take longer than usual to despatch
This despatch estimate is based on information from both our own stock and the UK supplier's stock.
If ordering multiple items, we will aim to send everything together so the longest despatch estimate will apply to the complete order.
If you would rather receive certain items more quickly, please place them on a separate order.
If any unexpected delays occur, we will keep you informed of progress via email and not allow other items on the order to be held up.
If you would prefer to receive everything together regardless of any delay, please let us know via email.
Pre-orders will be despatched as close as possible to the release date.
Label: Warner - Icon
Cat No: 9185142
Number of Discs: 11
Release Date: 21st February 2011
All its members were excellent musicians who held positions in notable orchestras and appeared as soloists. The clarinettist Gervase de Peyer, flautist Richard Adeney, viola player Cecil Aronowitz and cellist Terence Weil were the founding members.
Planned as a group of twelve players (string quintet, wind quintet with piano and harp), this could be expanded by other players to perform an enormous range of works from Mozart through the classics and romantics of Beethoven, Schubert, Mendelssohn, Schumann and Brahms to Bartók, Janácek, Nielsen, Poulenc and Khatchaturian. They also gave first performances and then recorded works by four (then young) British composers: Richard Rodney Bennett, Harrison Birtwistle, Gordon Crosse and Peter Maxwell Davies.
The principal musicians who joined the initial four were the violinists Emanuel Hurwitz and Ivor McMahon, double bass player Adrian Beers, oboist Peter Graeme, horn player Neil Sanders, bassoonist William Waterhouse, pianist Lamar Crowson and harpist Osian Ellis.
Many of the recordings are classics of the Gramophone and have been rarely out of the catalogue. Here is a set bringing together all their recordings made during those fifteen halcyon years of glorious music-making.
- Clarinet Quintet in A, K.581
- Piano Quintet in A, D.667 'The Trout'
- Adagio & Rondo concertante in F, D.487
- Quintet in E Flat for Piano & Wind, K.452
- Quintet in E Flat for Piano & Wind, Op.16
- Sextet in E Flat Major, Op.81b
- March for Sextet in B Flat Major (1810), WoO 29
- Rondino in E Flat Major, WoO 25
- Septet in E Flat, Op.20
- Octet in E Flat, Op.20
- Octet in E Flat, Op.103
- Octet in F, D.803
- Duo No.1 for C for Clarinet & Bassoon, WoO 27
- Fantasiestück, Op.73
- Märchenerzählungen, Op.132
- Clarinet Quintet in B Minor, Op.115
- Vivace from Clarinet Quintet in A
- Grand Septet in B Flat Major
- Double Quartet in D Minor, Op.65
- Clarinet Quintet in B Flat Major, Op.34
- Wind Quintet in A Major, Op.43
- Mládí (Youth)
- In the Mists
- Introduction and Allegro for Flute, Clarinet, Harp & String Quartet
- Trio for Oboe, Bassoon & Piano
- Sonata for Clarinet & Bassoon
- Divertissement for Oboe, Clarinet & Bassoon
- Divertissement for Bassoon & String Quintet
- Suite for Violin, Clarinet & Piano
- Contrasts for Violin, Clarinet & Piano
- Eight Variations on a Greek Folk Tune
- Trio for Clarinet, Violin & Piano
- Overture on Hebrew Themes, Op.34
- Trio for Clarinet, Viola & Piano in E Flat, K.498 'Kegelstatt'
- Adagio-Allegro from Octet, Op.32
- I. Committee meeting: Moderato
- V. In the Tube at Oxford Circus: Allegro energico
- Quintet for Oboe & Strings
- Quintet for Clarinet and Strings
- Concerto Da Camera for Solo Violin, Wind & Percussion
- Strophe I
- Anapaest I
- Antistrophe I
- Strophe II
- Anapaest II
- Antistrophe II
- Leopardi Fragments: Cantata for soprano, contralto and instrumental ensemble
Error on this page? Let us know here
Need more information on this product? Click here