Jistebnicky Kancional: Sound of the Bohemian Pre-Reformation
This despatch estimate is based on information from both our own stock and the UK supplier's stock.
If ordering multiple items, we will aim to send everything together so the longest despatch estimate will apply to the complete order.
If you would rather receive certain items more quickly, please place them on a separate order.
If any unexpected delays occur, we will keep you informed of progress via email and not allow other items on the order to be held up.
If you would prefer to receive everything together regardless of any delay, please let us know via email.
Pre-orders will be despatched as close as possible to the release date.
Cat No: SU42912
Number of Discs: 1
Release Date: 23rd April 2021
When, in 1872, the student Leopold Katz discovered in the attic of the presbytery in the South Bohemian village of Jistebnice an old manuscript of Czech songs, he might not have realised just how enormous its value was. Today, the hymnal, bearing the title Jistebnický kancionál, is primarily known for containing the Hussite choral anthem Ye Who Are Warriors of God. (The melody has attained worldwide fame due to its inclusion in Smetana’s symphonic poems Tábor and Blaník, parts of the cycle My Country.) Yet the most notable aspect of the hand-written hymnbook is that it features songs in Czech for mass and prayer of the Liturgy of the Hours. It would seem that the bold project’s aim was to make liturgy accessible to the wide religious community in their own language.
A number of unanswered questions and mysteries still surround the Jistebnice manuscript.
The present album, made by the internationally esteemed vocal Tiburtina Ensemble, lifts the veil of mystery to a certain degree, with the bright female voices conveying the sheer beauty of the songs. “How wonderful my favourite Latin choral pieces sounded in Old Czech!” Barbora Kabátková says. “I consider the Jistebnický kancionál to be a great discovery, and hope that the listeners will perceive it in the same manner.”
2. Cantio Kristovoť jest ustavenie
3. Lamentacio Aleph. Poslúchajte slova smutná
5. Cantio Radujme se všickni nynie
6. Tropus Hospodine, pro tvé svaté vzkřiešenie
7. Offertorium Brány nebeské otevřel Hospodin
8. Cantio Vstalť jest Kristus z mrtvých
10. Cantio Patřmež k Bohu tak múdrému
11. Introitus Nakrmil jest je z tučnosti
12. Alleluia Tělo mé pravý jest pokrm
13. Prosa Abychme hodně pamatovali
14. Offertorium Kněžie obět Boží. Tropus Budiž pozdraveno, tělo Kristovo
15. Communio Kolikrát kolivěk
17. Introitus Daj pokoj, Hospodine
18. Cantio Chvalmež Boha vždy dobrého
19. Tropus Děkujeme Hospodinu
20. Cantio Buoh všemohúcí
21. Cantio Jezu Kriste, štědrý Kněže
Error on this page? Let us know here
Need more information on this product? Click here