Shakespired: Sonnets by William Shakespeare
This despatch estimate is based on information from both our own stock and the UK supplier's stock.
If ordering multiple items, we will aim to send everything together so the longest despatch estimate will apply to the complete order.
If you would rather receive certain items more quickly, please place them on a separate order.
If any unexpected delays occur, we will keep you informed of progress via email and not allow other items on the order to be held up.
If you would prefer to receive everything together regardless of any delay, please let us know via email.
Pre-orders will be despatched as close as possible to the release date.
Cat No: 9029572805
Number of Discs: 1
Release Date: 26th January 2018
The proMODERN sextet consists of great musical individualities. Each of its members is an eminent musician and singer, and pursues their own independent artistic career. The ensemble specialises in contemporary music. It aims to convey to the audience the wealth and beauty of early 21st-century music as the art that is the closest to us all, that utilises a familiar aesthetic and draws on the experience of today’s world.
In the five years since its inception, proMODERN has premiered 28 works (including miniatures, larger unaccompanied forms, vocal-instrumental music and pieces with orchestra), nine different song cycles, as well as creating stage parts in operatic premieres. They present many contemporary works which are not performed by any other ensemble in Poland, and which are rarely heard internationally, such as the famous Stimmung by Karlheinz Stockhausen.
The ensemble derives mutual inspiration from collaboration with eminent Polish composers and invited the following to participate in the “proMODERN shakespired” project: Krzysztof Herdzin, Krzesimir Dębski, Włodzimierz Pawlik, Paweł Łukaszewski, Tomasz Opałka, Dariusz Przybylski, Miłosz Bembinow, Maciej Zieliński, Andrzej Borzym Jr., as well as a special guest – Grammy award-winner Philip Lawson.
“When Piotr Pieron approached me with the request to compose three sonnets to Shakespeare’s words for unaccompanied vocal sextet, I was overjoyed at first, because the prospect of writing for a group of accomplished chamber musicians, experts in contemporary music, was immensely attractive to me. Very soon, however, I was overwhelmed by doubts – mostly because of the original 16th-century text to which my music was to be set. […] I selected the sonnets that seemed to be closest to my own lyrical vein, describing the bright side of love, the beauty and strength of human feelings. I adjusted the slightly melancholy, highly emotional character of the music to these texts – and here they are, Shakespeare and Herdzin telling you about love through the voices of the proMODERN sextet. I wish you a pleasant listening experience!” – Krzysztof Herdzin
1. Krzesimir Dębski - Sonnet 1: From fairest creatures we desire increase
2. Krzesimir Dębski - Sonnet 2: When forty winters shall besiege thy brow
3. Włodek Pawlik (arr. Andrzej Borzym Jr) - Sonnet 33: Full many a glorious morning have I seen
4. Krzysztof Herdzin - Sonnet 18: Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?
5. Krzysztof Herdzin - Sonnet 25: Let those who are in favour with their stars
6. Krzysztof Herdzin - Sonnet 59: If there be nothing new, but that which is
7. Tomasz Opałka - Sonnet 128 "...lips to kiss..."
8. Dariusz Przybylski - Sonnet 20: A woman's face with Nature's own hand painted
9. Maciej Zieliński - Sonnet 73: That time of year
10. Paweł Łukaszewski - Sonnet 27: Weary with toil
11. Paweł Łukaszewski - Sonnet 60: Like as the waves
12. Miłosz Bembinow - Sonnet 129: Th' expense of spirit
13. Miłosz Bembinow - Sonnet 144: Two loves I have
14. Miłosz Bembinow - Sonnet 151: Love is too young
15. Philip Lawson - Sonnet 104: To me, fair friend
16. Andrzej Borzym Jr - Sonnet 57: Being your slave, what should I do but tend
17. Andrzej Borzym Jr - Sonnet 41: Those pretty wrongs that liberty commits
18. Andrzej Borzym Jr - Sonnet 71: No longer mourn for me when I am dead
- Łucja Szablewska (soprano)
- Ewa Puchalska (mezzo-soprano)
- Ewelina Rzezińska (mezzo-soprano)
- Andrzej Marusiak (tenor)
- Krzysztof Chalimoniuk (baritone)
- Piotr Pieron (bass)
Error on this page? Let us know here
Need more information on this product? Click here