save £2.51 (20%)
special offer ending 28/07/2020
This despatch estimate is based on information from both our own stock and the UK supplier's stock.
If ordering multiple items, we will aim to send everything together so the longest despatch estimate will apply to the complete order.
If you would rather receive certain items more quickly, please place them on a separate order.
If any unexpected delays occur, we will keep you informed of progress via email and not allow other items on the order to be held up.
If you would prefer to receive everything together regardless of any delay, please let us know via email.
Pre-orders will be despatched as close as possible to the release date.
Label: Lawo Classics
Cat No: LWC1096
Number of Discs: 1
Release Date: 27th May 2016
Elegant conversation, music, painting, fencing and dance — the arts performed with a certain ‘sprezzatura’ (nonchalance) — were the true test of aristocrats. At the French court, the ball was a particularly special place, where the aristocracy would parade their extravagant costumes and masks which echoed classical, mythical figures. The rhythmical patterns of the dances influenced the entire French repertoire of this era, both instrumental and vocal music (including sacred music).
The leading musicians during the Sun King’s reign composed obligingly within the confines of strict protocols of style, though they were allowed to give their own personal touch. Marais, Couperin, Visée, de la Barre and members of the Hotteterre and Philidor families were among the most competent and high profile musicians during the king’s more senior days.
The suites in this recording are largely taken from the many great musical publications from the Paris of the early 1700s. The publications, which were released ‘avec Privilège du Roy’ (at the behest of the king) reflect the grand balls, concerts, opera and ballet performances at the court and were well-received by a bourgeoisie filled with reverence for the luxurious and illustrious court life.
Pièces in G major/minor
1. Ouverture (Anne Danican Philidor)
2. Le Ballet (Philidor)
3. Bourée (Philidor)
4. Plainte (Marin Marais)
5. Rondeau ‘La Plaintif’ (Jacques-Martin Hotteterre le Romain)
6. Les Forgerons (Philidor)
7. Gigue (Hotteterre le Romain)
Pièces in A major/minor
8. Prelude (Marais)
9. Gavotte (Marais)
10. Pastorale (Nicolas Chédeville)
11. Musette (Hotteterre le Romain)
12. Muséte de Choisi (Francois Couperin)
13. Chaconne (Philidor)
Pièces in D major/minor
14. Les Songes, Lentement (Philidor)
15. Le Moulin de Javelle (Philidor)
16. Rondeau Ensuite (Philidor)
17. Les Fauvétes Plaintives (Couperin)
18. Les Calotins (Couperin)
19. …et les Calotines (Couperin)
20. Dame Ragonde (Philidor)
Suite in E Minor
21. Prelude, Lentement (Hotteterre le Romain)
22. Allemande ‘La Fontainebleau’, Gravement (Hotteterre le Romain)
23. Courante (Philidor)
24. Sarabande ‘Le Depart’, Douloureusement (Hotteterre le Romain)
25. Air ‘Le fleuri’, Gayment (Hotteterre le Romain)
26. Gavotte ‘La Mitilde’, Tendrement (Hotteterre le Romain)
27. Menuet ‘Le Beaulieu’ (Hotteterre le Romain)
28. 2nd Menuet (Hotteterre le Romain)
29. Menuet ‘Le Beaulieu’ da capo (Hotteterre le Romain)
30. Robert de Visée - Chaconne in G
31. Michel de la Barre - Chaconne in G
Error on this page? Let us know here
Need more information on this product? Click here