Lady Day at Emersonís Bar & Grill
Currently out of stock at the UK suppliers. Available to order, but is likely to take longer than usual to despatch
This despatch estimate is based on information from both our own stock and the UK supplier's stock.
If ordering multiple items, we will aim to send everything together so the longest despatch estimate will apply to the complete order.
If you would rather receive certain items more quickly, please place them on a separate order.
If any unexpected delays occur, we will keep you informed of progress via email and not allow other items on the order to be held up.
If you would prefer to receive everything together regardless of any delay, please let us know via email.
Pre-orders will be despatched as close as possible to the release date.
Label: PS Classics
Cat No: PS1423
Number of Discs: 2
Release Date: 21st July 2014
ArtistsAudra McDonald (vocals)
ArtistsAudra McDonald (vocals)
Original Broadway Cast Recording
"One of the greatest performances I ever hope to see" is how New York Magazine described five-time Tony Award-winner Audra McDonald's portrayal of Billie Holiday in Lady Day at Emerson's Bar & Grill, Lanie Robertson's award-winning play with music dramatizing one of the final concerts in the beloved singer's extraordinary, tragic life.
Recorded live at Broadway's Circle in the Square Theatre, the two-disc set features McDonald's "spellbinding, tour-de-force" (NY Daily News) renditions of signature Holiday songs such as 'God Bless the Child', 'What a Little Moonlight Can Do', 'Strange Fruit" and 'Taint Nobody's Biz-ness'.
The Associated Press proclaimed 'Lady Day at Emerson's Bar & Grill' "one of the supreme honors of the Broadway season", while The New York Times delighted in "the pleasure of hearing Ms McDonald breathe aching life into some of Holiday's greatest songs... with sensitive musicianship and rich seams of feeling that command rapt admiration".
Now, "the best 90 minutes you'll ever witness" (NY1) have been preserved on disc by PS Classics, giving audiences the chance to savour "not just one but two of the most extraordinarily gifted dramatic vocalists America has produced" (Los Angeles Times).
2. I Wonder Where Our Love Has Gone
3. When a Woman Loves a Man
4. "Iím even glad to be back in Philly..."
5. "I want to introduce my accompanist..."
6. What a Little Moonlight Can Do
7. "We got this contract..."
8. Crazy He Calls Me
9. "They used to be hanginí from the rafters..."
10. Gimme a Pigfoot (and a Bottle of Beer)
11. "That was in the early thirties..."
12. Baby Doll
13. "I better watch myself here..."
14. God Bless the Child
15. "That was for my mama..."
1. "Nobody but me ever liked Sonny..."
2. Fooliní Myself/Somebodyís on My Mind
3. Easy Living
4. "I was singiní with Artieís band..."
5. Strange Fruit
6. "Itís bad again, Jimmy..."
7. Blues Break
8. "Now Iíll take a little break right here..."
9. 'Tain't Nobody's Biz-ness If I Do
10. "I want you all to meet Pepi..."
11. "I was doiní the bad drugs heavy..."
12. Donít Explain / What a Little Moonlight Can Do (Reprise)
13. Deep Song
Error on this page? Let us know here
Need more information on this product? Click here