The Boswell Sisters: Shout, Sister, Shout! (Their 52 finest 1931-36)
This despatch estimate is based on information from both our own stock and the UK supplier's stock.
If ordering multiple items, we will aim to send everything together so the longest despatch estimate will apply to the complete order.
If you would rather receive certain items more quickly, please place them on a separate order.
If any unexpected delays occur, we will keep you informed of progress via email and not allow other items on the order to be held up.
If you would prefer to receive everything together regardless of any delay, please let us know via email.
Pre-orders will be despatched as close as possible to the release date.
Cat No: RTS4242
Number of Discs: 2
Release Date: 3rd March 2014
ArtistsThe Boswell Sisters
ArtistsThe Boswell Sisters
This is the definitive double-CD selection of the very best of the fabulous Boswells, the hottest jazz vocal group of all time.
Connie (later 'Connee' 1907-1976), Martha (1908-1958) and Helvetia ('Vet') Boswell (1909-1988) constituted the most popular female vocal group before The Andrews Sisters, and created some of the most exciting recordings of the early 30s Ė still sounding amazing today. They enjoyed 20 hits before breaking up, when the remarkable, wheelchair-bound Connee continued a great solo career, influencing a generation of singers such as Ella Fitzgerald. But as a trio, the Sisters were never matched.
Shout, Sister, Shout! was their signature tune, and now the title of Retrospectiveís 52-track selection of their very best recordings. 11 of them were Top Ten hits, including their first success, the incredible When I Take My Sugar To Tea, and Dinah, Iím Gonna Sit Right Down And Write Myself A Letter, Roll On Mississippi Roll On, Rock And Roll, Itís The Girl and the chart-topping The Object Of My Affection Ė each one a tour de force.
The Sistersí jazz flair was invariably enhanced by the accompaniment of some of the top musicians in jazz, and fine solos by such as Jimmy and Tommy Dorsey, Bunny Berigan, Benny Goodman, Manny Klein, Artie Shaw, and Joe Venuti and Eddie Lang all add to the enjoyment.
2014 sees the publication of a Boswell Sisters biography by Vetís granddaughter, Kyla Titus, a major new film documentary from Joshua Tree, and a large-scale exhibition 'Shout, Sister, Shout! Ė The Boswell Sisters of New Orleans'.
CD 1 (1931-1932)
1. Shout, Sister, Shout!
2. Whaídja Do To Me?
3. When I Take My Sugar To Tea
4. Roll On, Mississippi, Roll On
5. Sing A Little Jingle
6. I Found A Million Dollar Baby
7. Itís The Girl
8. Itís You!
9. Making Faces At The Man In The Moon
10. I Canít Write The Words
11. Shine On, Harvest Moon
12. Heebie Jeebies
13. River, Stay íWay From My Door
14. An Evening In Caroline
15. Nothing Is Sweeter Than You
16. I Thank You, Mister Moon
17. Was That The Human Thing To Do?
18. Put That Sun Back In The Sky
19. Everybody Loves My Baby
20. Thereíll Be Some Changes Made
21. Between The Devil And The Deep Blue Sea
22. If It Ainít Love
23. Doggone, Iíve Done It!
24. Hand Me Down My Walkiní Cane
25. We Just Couldnít Say Goodbye
26. Down Among The Sheltering Palms
CD 2 (1932-1936)
1. Charlie Two-Step
2. I Donít Mean A Thing If It Ainít Got That Swing!
3. Louisiana Hayride
4. Crazy People
5. Mood Indigo
6. Forty-Second Street
7. Shuffle Off To Buffalo
8. Thatís How Rhythm Was Born
9. Coffee In The Morning, Kisses In The Night
10. You Oughta Be In Pictures
11. Alexanderís Ragtime Band
12. The Darktown Struttersí Ball
13. Donít Let Your Love Go Wrong
14. Rock And Roll
15. If I Had A Million Dollars
16. The Object Of My Affection
18. Saint Louis Blues
19. Fare Thee Well, Annabelle
20. Lullaby Of Broadway
21. Top Hat, White Tie And Tails
22. Cheek To Cheek
23. Iím Gonna Sit Right Down And Write Myself A Letter
24. The Music Goes íRound And Around
25. Let Yourself Go
26. Iím Putting All My Eggs In One Basket
Error on this page? Let us know here
Need more information on this product? Click here