Donizetti - Rosmonda d’Inghilterra (highlights)
This despatch estimate is based on information from both our own stock and the UK supplier's stock.
If ordering multiple items, we will aim to send everything together so the longest despatch estimate will apply to the complete order.
If you would rather receive certain items more quickly, please place them on a separate order.
If any unexpected delays occur, we will keep you informed of progress via email and not allow other items on the order to be held up.
If you would prefer to receive everything together regardless of any delay, please let us know via email.
Pre-orders will be despatched as close as possible to the release date.
Label: Opera Rara
Cat No: ORR214
Number of Discs: 1
Release Date: 26th April 2010
ArtistsRenee Fleming (soprano)
Geoffrey Mitchell Choir
One of Opera Rara’s historical strengths has been its enthusiasm to discover, nurture and promote bright young singers. One of the beautiful lyric soprano voices the late Patric Schmid took under his wing belonged to American singer, Renée Fleming, who went on to become one of the most celebrated sopranos of our time. And also one of the best-selling!
Rosmonda d’Inghilterra was a work of Donizetti’s artistic maturity, produced inbetween Lucrezia Borgia (Milan, 1833) and Maria Stuarda (intended for Naples in 1834, but in fact premiered in Milan in 1835), with a libretto by Felice Romani, the leading practitioner of the genre in Italy at that time.
Despite the opera’s rarity, its qualities as a work remain exceptional. The plot is derived from English history (suitably fictionalised) and centres on the bitter hatred of Eleanor of Aquitaine, wife of Henry II, for his mistress Rosamond Clifford, whom she eventually murders. Donizetti was able to depict the heightened emotions of the characters with particular vividness.
In order to present these highlights to the best possible musical effect, Patric Schmid re-ordered them slightly from their appearance in the context of the opera.
Featuring the superb cast of the original recording (including Bruce Ford, Nelly Miricioiu, Alastair Miles and Diana Montague), the disc has undergone a stunning makeover and is sure to attract the attention of opera and Fleming fans alike.
- Act I: Recitative: Volgon tre lune … ahi lassa! (Rosmonda)
- Act I: Cavatina: Perche non ho del vento (Rosmonda, Arturo)
- Act I: Cabaletta: Torna, torna or caro oggetto (Rosmonda)
- Act I: Dueto: Deh! Ti arresta! (Rosmonda, Clifford)
- Act I: Cabaletta: Vieni meco, ed un ritiro (Rosmonda, Clifford)
- Act I: Finale: E desso! E il perfido (Enrico, Rosmonda, Clifford)
- Act I: Concertato: E dessa: alfin la perfida (Leonora)
- Act I: Stretta: Tace ognun! nessun risponde? (All)
- Act II: Scene: Primiero io giungo (Rosmonda, Leonora)
- Act II: Duet: Si, non io (Rosmonda, Leonora)
- Act II: Scene: Giurato il sacrifizio (Rosmonda, Enrico)
- Act II: Duet: Giurasti un di … rammentalo (Rosmonda, Enrico)
- Act II: Stretta: Concedo un breve istante (Rosmonda, Enrico)
- Act II: Scene: Ma il tempo vila (Arturo, Clifford, Rosmonda)
- Act II: Aria: Io fuggiro quel perfido (Rosmonda, Arturo, Clifford)
- Act II: Cabaletta: Senza pace, senza sperme (Rosmonda, Arturo, Clifford)
Error on this page? Let us know here
Need more information on this product? Click here