(Ex)Tradition: Traditional & Popular Music of 18th-Century Ireland & Scotland
This despatch estimate is based on information from both our own stock and the UK supplier's stock.
If ordering multiple items, we will aim to send everything together so the longest despatch estimate will apply to the complete order.
If you would rather receive certain items more quickly, please place them on a separate order.
If any unexpected delays occur, we will keep you informed of progress via email and not allow other items on the order to be held up.
If you would prefer to receive everything together regardless of any delay, please let us know via email.
Pre-orders will be despatched as close as possible to the release date.
Label: Harmonia Mundi - harmonia#nova
Cat No: HMN916105
Number of Discs: 1
Release Date: 22nd September 2017
ArtistsThe Curious Bards
ArtistsThe Curious Bards
The ensemble claims to offer an innovative and creative insight to this repertoire guided by extensive research. They are ‘bards’ of modern times, eager to discover and expand their knowledge. This is their first album.
1. A Set of 3 Scottish Airs: The Lads of Elgin (reel) | The Highlandman kissed his mother (reel) | The Fyket (reel)
2. A Set of 3 Irish Airs: Sr. Ulick Burk (reel) | The Soup of Good Drink (jig) | The High Road to Dublin (jig)
3. Rakes of Westmeath (Irish tune with variations)
4. Since sounding drums (Irish Air)
5. Highland Battle: The March -They Mend their Pace - The Battle Begins - The Height of the Battle - The Preparation for a Retreat - The Chief is Killed - The Retreat - The Lamentation for the Chief
6. A Set of 3 Airs from Ireland & Scotland: Lady Herriot Hopes (reel) | Sir Adam Ferguson’s reel (or Lads of Laois) | Bonny Lads (reel)
7. A Set of 2 Irish Airs: Turlough O’Carolan: John Nugent (jig) | Bumper Squire Jones (jig) (Thomas Morres Jones)
8. The Duel Rakes of Mallow (Irish tune with variations) | Reel of Tulloch (Scottish tune with variations)
9. A Set of 3 Irish Airs: Mary O’Neill (jiig) (Carolan’s favourte jig) | The Lads of Dunse (jig) | Port Patrick (jig)
10. Kilkenny is a handsome place (Irish song)
11. A Set of 3 Airs from Ireland & Scotland: Raddire en Ougnish | Marquis of Huntly’s strathspey | Mr Jo Reid’s reel
12. King of the Blind
13. A Set of 3 Scottish Airs: Miss Loraine of Kirkharles (reel) | Fight about the Fire side (reel) | Lochail is away to France (reel)
14. Lady Anne Bothwell’s lament (Scottish song)
The Curious Bards:
- Alix Boivert (violin)
- Jean-Christophe Morel (cittern)
- Louis Capeille (triple harp)
- Sarah Van Oudenhove (viola da gamba)
- Bruno Harlé (transverse flute, tin whistle)
Twenty years ago, harmonia mundi and France Musique joined forces to produce the first albums of a new generation of musicians from around the world. Mostly unknown to the general public when they first entered the recording studios, these ‘nouveaux interprètes’ (as the first series was called) included Isabelle Faust, Paul Lewis, Piotr Anderszewski, Emmanuelle Bertrand, Frank Braley, François-Frédéric Guy, Jean‑Guihen Queyras, Alexander Melnikov, Lawrence Power, Ekaterina Sementchuk, Alexandre Tharaud, Cédric Tiberghien, Xavier de Maistre, Alban Gerhardt and many others. Since then, the vast majority of these have made quite a name for themselves and have become the mainstay of many a recordcompany, not least harmonia mundi itself.
Now following the success of ‘Les Nouveaux Interprètes’ (which later became ‘Les Nouveaux Musiciens’), harmonia#nova is a new series to welcome a new generation of young artists. harmonia#nova will provide a technical, editorial and promotional showcase measuring up to the high production standards of harmonia mundi. Each artist will subsequently have the spotlight trained on them, on disc, online (streaming, downloads, social media) and in images – and then, for a year, in the form of an accompaniment to their artistic development, in concert, in promotional activities, in every territory. It was the least harmonia mundi could do to give all these musicians access to the international diffusion that has made the label’s reputation. Welcome young talents! Long life to harmonia#nova!
Error on this page? Let us know here
Need more information on this product? Click here