Golden Age of Light Music: British Cinema & Theatre Orchestras Vol.4
This despatch estimate is based on information from both our own stock and the UK supplier's stock.
If ordering multiple items, we will aim to send everything together so the longest despatch estimate will apply to the complete order.
If you would rather receive certain items more quickly, please place them on a separate order.
If any unexpected delays occur, we will keep you informed of progress via email and not allow other items on the order to be held up.
If you would prefer to receive everything together regardless of any delay, please let us know via email.
Pre-orders will be despatched as close as possible to the release date.
Label: Guild - Light Music
Cat No: GLCD5228
Number of Discs: 1
Release Date: 11th May 2015
With this fourth collection of 'Cinema & Theatre Orchestras' we are again back in the 1930s and 40s, when virtually every theatre and many cinemas in Britain boasted their own resident orchestra. Not surprisingly, the best of these were to be found in London and nine of them appear on this CD.
Many recordings featured not only the cinema or theatre’s orchestra but its organ as well, and you can hear examples recorded in The Commodore Theatre, The Paramount and Regal Cinemas plus one featuring the organ which was briefly installed in The London Palladium.
De Groot and his superb New Victoria Orchestra appear on Guild for the first time, but the highlight of the collection is a rare 1930 recording, never released in Britain, of a selection from 'Les Saltimbanques' played by The Regal Cinema Orchestra with Quentin Maclean at the organ.
1. Ah! Sweet Mystery Of Life (from 'Naughty Marietta') - Victor Herbert: Anton and the Paramount Theatre Orchestra With Maurice Meier (Organ)
2. Kisses In The Dark (Baci Al Duio - Nocturne Op.33) - G de Michell: The Commodore Grand Orchestra conducted by Joseph Muscant
3. The Illuminated Fete (From 'In Holiday Mood' Suite) - Albert William Ketèlbey: The London Palladium Orchestra conducted by Clifford Greenwood
4. 'The Gipsy Princess' - Waltz - Emmerich Kalman: The Commodore Grand Orchestra conducted by Joseph Muscant With Harry Davidson (Organ)
5. 'Our Miss Gibbs' - Selection - Ivan Caryll, Lionel Monckton: Prince Of Wales Playhouse, Lewisham, Orchestra conducted by Frank Westfield
6. Suite of Serenades No.1 - Spanish - Victor Herbert: The Regal Cinema Orchestra conducted by Emanuel Starkey
7. Suite of Serenades No.2 - Chinese - Victor Herbert: The Regal Cinema Orchestra conducted by Emanuel Starkey
8. Les Saltimbanques - Selection - Louis Ganne: The Regal Cinema Orchestra conducted by Emanuel Starkey With Quentin Maclean (Organ)
9. Lovers Lane Minuet - Frank E Tours: The Plaza Theatre Orchestra conducted by Frank Tours
10. Marche Symphonique - Domenico Savino: The London Palladium Orchestra conducted by Richard Crean
11. 'The Gypsy Baron' - Melodie - Johann Strauss II: The Commodore Grand Orchestra conducted by Joseph Muscant With Harry Davidson (Organ)
12. One Hour With You (Schenke Mir Eine Stunde) - Eisele: The Troxy Broadcasting Orchestra conducted by Joseph Muscant
13. The Voice Of The Bells - An Alpine Fantasy - T W Thurber: The London Palladium Orchestra conducted by Horace Sheldon (With Organ)
14. Swabian Peasant Waltz - Hermann Krome: The Commodore Grand Orchestra conducted by Joseph Muscant
15. Vivienne - Herman Finck: The London Palladium Orchestra conducted by Richard Crean
16. Vienna Maidens Waltz - Karl Michael Ziehrer: De Groot and the New Victoria Orchestra
17. Waltz Viennese - Ruda Lakay: The Commodore Grand Orchestra conducted by Joseph Muscant
18. Wood Nymphs - Eric Coates: The London Coliseum Orchestra conducted by Reginald Burston
19. Other Days - A Selection Of Popular Melodies - arr. Herman Finck: De Groot and the New Victoria Orchestra
20. Look At Me - Eddy Wall: The Westway Studio Orchestra
21. Love In The Clouds - Cy Crawford: Symphonia Orchestra conducted by Curt Andersen
22. Fashion House - Peter Dennis, real name Dennis Alfred Berry: Symphonia Orchestra conducted by Curt Andersen
23. Dreamtime - Keith Papworth: London Studio Orchestra conducted by Hugo De Groot (‘Hugh Granville’ On Disc Label)
24. Gorgeous Girl - Kurt Schick: Symphonia Orchestra conducted by Curt Andersen
25. Nevertheless (I'm In Love With You) - Bert Kalmar, Harry Ruby, arr. William Hill-Bowen: The Living Strings conducted by William Hill-Bowen
Error on this page? Let us know here
Need more information on this product? Click here