save £1.38 (16%)
special offer ending 28/03/2019
This despatch estimate is based on information from both our own stock and the UK supplier's stock.
If ordering multiple items, we will aim to send everything together so the longest despatch estimate will apply to the complete order.
If you would rather receive certain items more quickly, please place them on a separate order.
If any unexpected delays occur, we will keep you informed of progress via email and not allow other items on the order to be held up.
If you would prefer to receive everything together regardless of any delay, please let us know via email.
Pre-orders will be despatched as close as possible to the release date.
Label: Brilliant Classics
Cat No: 94994BR
Number of Discs: 2
Release Date: 8th December 2014
Royal Philharmonic Orchestra
Royal Philharmonic Orchestra
In today’s hectic world, it is increasingly important to relax and take time out for yourself. This special collection of beautiful and serene adagios will help you do just that. The set features over two hours of soothing music, including many slow movements that are at the emotional core of timeless and best‐loved masterpieces.
You’ll be captivated by the variety of wonderful and instantly recognisable melodies heard here: the wistful spiritual from Dvořák’s ‘New World’ Symphony, the exquisite interweaving lines of Bach’s ‘Air on a G String’, and some of Mozart’s most impressive showcases for how to really make an instrument sing in the Clarinet Concerto and ‘Elvira Madigan’ Piano Concerto.
And evocative and atmospheric adagios – such as Grieg’s ‘Morning’ and the slow movement from Beethoven’s ‘Pastoral’ Symphony with its distinctive birdsong calls in the flute, oboe and clarinet – will transport you to another world, far away from the stresses and strains of everyday life.
Other highlights include some of the most enchanting slow movements in the piano repertoire – such as the poignant Adagio cantabile from Beethoven’s ‘Pathétique’ Sonata and stunning concerto movements by Chopin, Ravel and Rachmaninov, Fauré’s intense Élégie for cello, and Mahler’s tender and heartbreakingly romantic Adagietto.
The emotional power of these adagios is brought to the fore by first‐rate orchestras such as the Staatskapelle Dresden, Philharmonia and Royal Philharmonic, under the baton of eminent conductors such as Theodore Kuchar, Herbert Blomstedt and Rudolf Barshai.
1. Dvorak - Symphony No.9 in E minor Op.95 'From the New World': I. Adagio – Allegro molto
2. J S Bach - Orchestral Suite No.3 in D Major, BWV 1068: II. Air
3. Brahms - Symphony No.3 in F Major, Op.90: III. Poco allegretto
4. Beethoven - Piano Sonata No.8 in C minor 'Pathétique': II Agagio cantabile
5. Marcello - Oboe Concerto in D Minor: II. Adagio
6. Ravel - Piano Concerto in G Major: II. Adagio Assai
7. Beethoven - Symphony No.6 in F Major, Op.68 'Pastoral': II Andante molto mosso (Szene am Bach)
8. Beethoven - Piano Concerto No.3 in C Minor, Op.37: II. Largo
9. Brahms - Violin Concerto in D Major, Op.77: II. Adagio
10. Beethoven - Piano Sonata No.12 in C-Sharp Minor 'Moonlight': I. Adagio sostenuto
1. Grieg - Peer Gynt Suite No.1, Op.46: I. Morning Mood
2. Chopin - Piano Concerto No.1 in E minor Op.11: II. Romance. Larghetto
3. Faure - Élégie, Op.24
4. Mahler - Symphony No.5: IV. Adagietto. sehr langsam
5. Mozart - Piano Concerto No.21 in C Major, K.467: II. Andante 'Elvira Madigan'
6. Rachmaninov - Piano Concerto No.2 in C Minor, Op.18: II. Adagio sostenuto
7. Mozart - Concerto for Clarinet and Orchestra in A Major, K.622: II. Adagio
8. Schubert - Symphony No.5 in B-Flat Major, D.485: II. Andante con moto
9. Mozart - Piano Concerto No.23 in A Major K.488: II. Andante
10. Tchaikovsky - Serenade for Strings, Op.48: III. Élégie. Larghetto elegiac
Error on this page? Let us know here
Need more information on this product? Click here